« View county listFire Weather Warning
Zapata-Jim Hogg-Brooks-Kenedy-Starr-Hidalgo-Inland Willacy-
123 PM CST Tue Feb 21 2017
...RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING FOR
STRONG WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY FOR FIRE WEATHER ZONES
248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, AND 255...
The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a Red Flag
Warning, which is in effect until 6 PM CST this evening.
* AFFECTED AREA...Fire weather zones 248, 249, 250, 251, 252,
253, 254, and 255.
* WIND...NORTHWEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.
* HUMIDITY...10 TO 15 PERCENT.
* THUNDERSTORMS...NOT EXPECTED.
* HIGHEST THREAT...IS LOCATED ACROSS THE MIDDLE AND UPPER
PORTIONS OF THE RIO GRANDE VALLEY...INCLUDING THE NORTHWEST
* IMPACTS...ANY FIRES THAT DEVELOP WILL LIKELY SPREAD RAPIDLY.
OUTDOOR BURNING IS NOT RECOMMENDED. AVOID CONTACT BETWEEN HOT
OBJECTS AND GRASSES...WHICH CAN BURN HOT AND QUICKLY.
A Red Flag Warning means critical fire weather conditions are
occurring now...or will shortly. In general...these conditions
include sustained 20 foot winds of 25 MPH or greater...humidity
ranging from below 25 percent in Zapata County to below
45 percent along the coast...each lasting for 2 hours or longer...
and cured fuels. Humidity below 25 percent in most areas will
trigger fire danger at lower wind speeds. Detailed decision
tables are found at HTTP://WEATHER.GOV/RGV/?N=MAPCOLORS#FIRE.