« View county listWind Advisory
Including the cities of West Jefferson, Sparta, Boone, Marion,
Independence, Whitetop, Troutdale, and Volney
957 PM EDT Thu May 25 2017
...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EDT FRIDAY...
* Locations...Northern Mountains of North Carolina and
neighboring High Country of southwest Virginia.
* Hazards...Gusty winds combined with saturated soils.
* Winds...West 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.
* Timing...Tonight through noon Friday.
* Impacts...Falling trees and downed power lines.
A Wind Advisory is usually issued when sustained winds are
forecast to be 31 to 39 MPH or gusts will range between 46 and
57 MPH. In this case, we are more concerned about wind gusts of
30 to 40 mph downing trees in saturated soils.